My first pair of socks was a worsted-weight "learning" pair that turned out ok, and I've since finished another pair!
These are Hermione's Everyday Socks in some Joann's yarn. I did these cuff down with a fish-lips kiss heel. I really liked these, but I had to frog the first sock because it was waaaay too small for my size 10 feet! I restarted them on slightly larger needles, with a slightly higher stitch count, and they turned out pretty well! I would consider them a tiiiiny bit too big, but they fit really well just after they're washed.
I've already had to frog it once, since my dropped YOs left big holes, (you can see them here, this picture is the first attempt) but I've started it again putting the YO between knit stitches instead of between a knit and KFB. It's looking better already!
I'll keep you posted as to how this goes, I've never done colorwork before, and I'm excited about it!