Friday, November 18, 2011

How House Hunting REALLY Happens... Ready to make an offer... or not?

After the debaucle with the "one that got away", I needed an understandable break from househunting. It didn't take me too long, though, to get back on the horse. I actually ended up finding three houses that I really liked (loved?) within a week of each other. Enough that I even had my parents come out to look at them and get their opinions.

The first house was a colonial in a fantastic neighborhood. It was close to everything, and the neighborhood is one of the most popular in Richmond, and has held it's value really well within the last several years. The house was beautiful, older, with a lot of character, on a great street. It was also a short sale, priced 100K lower than the average in the area. It also needed a LOT of work.

The second house was a split level, not far from the first house. It was on an amazing lot on a cul-de-sac. It was about the same size as the first one, and had a beautiful sunroom on the back of the house that overlooked the back yard and a creek than runs along one side of the yard. The same family had lived there for 25 years, and it was beautifully maintained. And move-in ready!

The third house was the farthest away, about 20 minutes from the others, on a toll road. It was on a huge lot, in a beautiful neighborhood. It was a ranch, which is what I've always "seen" myself living in. It had an updated kitchen, two beautiful original back and white bathrooms, and built ins in the living room. Downsides: the yard wasn't fenced, and it felt like it might be too far from town, even though it was the only one of the three that was technically in the city.

So I got my parents to come out and see them, and they pretty much omitted the first one based on how much work needed to be done. And of course my dad liked #2 and my mom liked #3. I was completely torn. I thought about them that whole weekend, and on sunday, called my realtor and told her that I was ready to make an offer on #3. In reality, I was still pretty torn, even while filling out the paperwork. I may have had a little emotional breakdown. Needless to say, I couldn't make an offer.

Ugh, that was rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment