Friday, November 30, 2012

Finished Sampler

As I mentioned yesterday, I finished the wedding ring sampler! I feel like this one has been a long time coming. It was never intended to be anything more than a 'test' for a template set, but it definitely became more than that. But because it wasn't considered a 'real' project, its never taken top priority - it mostly sat in a pile of stuff I didn't know what to do with. But it's done now!

I finished the binding last night. Isn't hand stitched binding neurotically delicious??



I love the quilting. It's certainly not perfect, but it makes me feel like I've got a good start on figuring out FMQ.



My favorite section is the wood grain! Courtesy of Angela Walters!



New things I learned during this process: piecing curves(!), using templates, free motion quilting, bias binding, and inside corners (which did NOT turn out all that great... apparently you have to plan ahead for those kinds of things for the front of the binding and the back to work well together!)

So I think this turned out to be a pretty fun accidental project!







11 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your quilting! I too am working with Angela Walters book close by my sewing machine! Re: hand sewing the binding...I love the look and I enjoy the process...but my fingers are getting calloused! I am trying to find the right use of a thimble...but feeling like all thumbs with one on! Another thing to practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use a thimble unless I'm hand quilting. They make these little stick-on pads for your fingers, I'm sure you can find them at Joann's or your LQS. I've never used them, but I've heard good things! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great work! I have so much respect for the bias binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so pretty! I've always wanted to try a double wedding ring quilt, but it just look so scary. You did a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! Your quilting looks great - I've also been using that book to experiment. Also, just wanted to let you know that your link is wrong on the Plum and June link up - I think you can delete it and resubmit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I have a DWR about that size that is a UFO. Now I want to get out and do some FMQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. You did a wonderful work! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I may have to borrow some of your ideas when I get around to quilting my DWR.

    ReplyDelete