Saturday, November 10, 2012

Me and Marsha Sue

My sewing machine is... vintage. She is a 1978 Singer Stylist, which my Mom got as a wedding present (I think). This is the machine I learned to sew on, and the only machine I've ever used.


She is very straightforward, no bells and whistles, and levers and knobs instead of buttons. Everything is manual!


She has her little quirks and whatnot, but not having ever used a different machine, it's all I know. I've recently started machine quilting, and while she did ok on my first attempt, it is not something that comes easily to her. She was actually kind of struggling. Also, since she was my Mom's, the thought of pushing that machine too far that it is permanently damaged gives me crazy anxiety. It would feel like another part of her is gone. So I've been thinking of getting a new sewing machine.

I looked at a number of machines, and test drove a few, but I really fell in love with the new Bernina 7 series. My Mom had a Bernina, which she loved, and my Dad and sisters are still using that machine for embroidery for my Dad's business. After much debate, I decided to go ahead and get the machine that I wanted, even if it cost more, instead of getting a "placeholder" machine and wanting to get another new machine in just a couple of years.

I ordered the new machine several weeks ago, and they said that it probably wouldn't come in until the end of November. Bummer (I'm an instant gratification fan) but worth the wait. Luckily, I got the call on Wednesday that she was here!! Yaaaaay! Much earlier than expected, and timed perfectly with some days off of work! ;-)

 Meet Bridget!







9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'd love to hear more about your experiences with the 750. I'm considering one of the 7 series machines too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. I ordered my 750 2 weeks ago. Bernina said not to expect before Christmas! I hope they surprise me. I'm so antsy to get it. I've always sewn on Berninas. This one reminds me of my 1230 that was so quiet and a workhorse. Loved it. When I sewed on the 750, I immediately felt like Bernina had really got this one right. I hope you love yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! I definitely love mine!! My Bernina dealer told me that it would be over a month until mine came, but it showed up in about two weeks - the LQS ended up giving me the one that was going to be the store sample. Apparently they're only making them as they're ordered? I hope yours surprises you too!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's awesome. When I first started reading that the machine wouldn't arrive until November, I was in SHOCK...so I went back to check the date of your post. =) That looks like an amazing Bernina. I have the 350PE and it's lovely too...just a tad bit smaller. =)

    Thanks for linking up and sharing your machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a 350! This girl is a beast and I really need something smaller to take to classes. Marsha Sue is out of commission for the time being, but the 350 is way too expensive for a class machine! Maybe one day ill get one so I can have one set up for piecing and the other for quilting.... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hello Megan,

    Lovely to see you have been using the machine you grew up with. I have my mum's machine, and rather too many others too.

    Funny that you call your old machine vintage. I think it's terribly modern, and your new machine is positively Star Trek.

    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I still think Bridget is Star Trek too! I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what this machine can do, it scares me a little!

      Delete
  5. The old Singers are great! I learned to sew on Mom's 1960's Singer. I have two vintage Berninas that I love.

    Cheers, K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! I love your Singer! I have a brother from about the same time, and she's awesome!
    And of course, Bridget looks amazing!
    Thank you so much for linking up with Stacey and I! I hope you had a lot of fun writing up your post :)
    Best,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete