Saturday, March 2, 2013

MAQS - Part II

Here are the rest of my Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show photos! Enjoy!

There were a couple Baltimore Album-type quilts that were very traditional in style, but were updated using really bright modern fabrics. So niiice :-)





This one used Kaffe prints fuzzy cut for the applique. And I love the non-white backgrounds!



This one had some incredible quilting.



The quilter used scale as a design element to create shadow and depth within the negative space.



This one looks a little trippy from far away - those little colored blocks were only about 3/4 of an inch tall I think!



The blurb on this one said that the artist used only thread scraps and strings intended for the trash to do this entire piece. I like that idea :-)



This one's quilting was really incredible - I had to do a double take...



The quilter used the negative space to create a scene out of the quilting - if you look closely, you can see a pond and reeds behind the bird. And a jumping fish! Such great details.



This is a small wall hanging, though that is hard to see with no size reference. Those background feathers were tiny!



This quilt won first place in the Innovative category. I was pretty much in awe of the quilting here. Yeah. That's all I can say.



The texture of the girl's hair is created just with quilting. Amazeballs.


The quilting in the sky is pretty much what I aspire to with free-form, improvisational free motion quilting. If I can do anything that is remotely marginally similar, I will die happy.



The tree here was done as a wholecloth - the artist painted the tree on, but then went over everything with thread painting. So intricate.





Another desert scene. I love the depth of this one, I feel like there is a story here waiting to be told...



These portraits were part of an exhibition about mental health. The whole exhibition was really amazing. I love when there are pieces that are beautiful and meaningful at the same time.



This one was about brain chemistry and mental health treatment. I love how the artist used three dimentional elements. The pictures really don't do it justice.



The "damaged brain cells" were made of broken glass, rusty nails, old coins, can tabs, and stuff that looks like it came out of the trash. As a nurse, this quilt really spoke to me because.... it's just true, and illustrates the reality of mental illness beautifully.



This one struck me with it's simplicity. It's about the journey towards healing. I like it a lot.



This one is pretty cool, too. The artist wrote in the caption about how her meds reminded her of candy.



Beautiful detail.



Well, that's it for this year! I'm looking forward to next year, of course. And hopefully in 2015 I will be able to go to Quiltcon, too!

5 comments:

  1. thank you for the peek into the quilt show--just amazing works!! Very inspiring... Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! I love the brain one especially.
    And your quilting is already good...you'll be up there in no time with practice. I am not aspiring to make art quilts, I just wanted to learn FMQ to finish my own quilts with a bit more pizazz than outlining and stippling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not aspiring to make art quilts, either, but some of these make it tempting!

      Delete
  3. I always love seeing quilts from shows I'm not able to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thank you for sharing the pictures of the quilt show! It always amazes me what limitless capacity quilts and quilters are capable of. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete