Friday, March 29, 2013

Popping the (zipper) Cherry

Believe it or not, after almost 10 years of sewing, I have never sewn a zipper. They scare me. Also, my old machine didn't have a zipper foot. And was too old for me to put forth the effort of finding one. I've made a few bags before, but all of the drawstring persuasion.

Well, while I was at my LQS for my latest class, I decided I needed to grow a pair and just do it. I've been oogling Noodlehead's Open Wide Pouches forever (in my head I call them Noodlepouches, lol), so while I was there I picked up some more Luxe in Bloom, some interfacing, and the dreaded zipper.

And I went for it.

I used a heavier interfacing than Anna uses in her tutorial, because I like my bags to have a little body. It was also my first time using interfacing, and I think I'm hooked. The bag got a little crunched when I was turning it right side out, but I think that will press out fine.



The light is coming through the inside of the bag, making it look much pinker than in real life!



I used the spool of Aurifil from Sunshine Daydream to put it together and to topstitch around the outside of the opening, and it matches perfectly!



I boxed the corners and everything. I'm such a professional. (i wish!)



I'm using it to store my perle cotton from my new handwork project! I'm so stoked to make a few more of these!!

10 comments:

  1. It's great! I learned last year and I'm 52!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! These were my first zippers too! Love love love Annas work! I change all my zippers on projects to be "Anna Style" now. If you get to loving these, zipit zippers in Etsy are the best (and cheapest) zippers.
    And if you like Anna Graham, you'll like Erin Erickson's stuff too! Her Two Zip Hipster was my first ever purse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I like the fusible fleece for these (not thermaloam--too thick), but the SF 101 is not quite enough either....though it is great for purses.
    I've got quite a collection of interfacing now (never used it before Annas pouch) and it's a confusing mess at the beginning! But the only way to figure out what you like for interfacing is to just buy some and use it! I but SF101 and fusible fleece by the bolt now as they are my favorites...I have a whole bolt of Thermaloam too...but that was a serious mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 911FF on this bag, and I got some 987F to try sometime soon. I'm interested to see how they're different!

      Delete
  4. zippers! you're so brave :) I'm totally scared to try one. Yours came out fantastic though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it!! It was so easy. I'm embarrassed it took me this long to try!

      Delete
  5. visiting from really random thursday. I love this. I too have been making heaps of pouches as there are some really easy zipper tutorials out there. Loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TheynARE addictive! You might wanna try these lil suckers! Just two scraps of fabric and HALF a zipper (I order extra pulls from zipit for the other half)....these puppies crank out fast and they are real cute to stuff with catnip for shelter cats (I even sewed ears on a few,)
    http://sewlittlefabric.blogspot.com/2010/12/humbug-bag-how-to-insert-zipper.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I love these pouches. I also have been trying zippers and pouches for the first time this month. Its is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete